ant to know what you need to know before committing to your purchase of a used car or truck? Print out this quick guide that lists just about every question you should consider – and ask – your dealer or seller before you spend a dime.
General Information & Features
- What is the year, model and color of the car?
- How many miles are on the car?
- Is the car manual or automatic transmission?
- What options are on the car?
- Are the seats vinyl, cloth or leather?
- If the seats are electric are they working normally?
- Does the car have an alarm and does it work?
- Does the car alarm ever false trigger? How often?
Ownership and History
- Why is the owner selling the car?
- How many owners has this car had?
- Was the car driven by a person who smokes?
- Has the odometer ever been rolled back?
- What is the 17 digit VIN# of this car?
- Does the car have an extended warranty?
- If so, is the Extended Warranty transferable to a new owner? (This can only be verified in writing from the existing policy).
- Has the title been branded as junked, flooded, totaled, etc.? (In some states they are required by law to disclose this in the ad.)
- Has the car been in an accident, if so, was there frame damage?
- What was the cost of the repair?
- Has the car ever been repainted?
- How often was the car waxed?
- Has the car been used for hire as a taxi or limousine?
- Does the seller have the title in their possession for inspection?
- Is the seller acting on behalf of a dealer?
Maintenance and Condition
- Do they have all maintenance records?
- Proof of tune ups and oil change receipts?
- What are all the major problems with the car?
- What is the condition of the paint on the car?
- Are there any major scratches, dents or dimples in the paint?
- Is there any rust on the car?
- How is the condition of the interior, seats, dash & roof?
- Are there any transmission problems?
- If manual transmission, when was the clutch last replaced?
- Does the A/C blow cold and does the heater blow warm?
- Is the battery, alternator and starter in good condition?
- Any electrical problems with the car?
- Does the Radio work?
- Does the car have an oil leak, transmission leak or radiator leak?
- When was the last time the radiator was flushed?
- When was the last time the A/C system was worked on?
- Does the car burn oil or have white exhaust?
- What month was the last oil change?
- When was the last tune up or fuel injector cleaning?
- How old are the tires and when were they last replaced?
- If the car has headlight motors do they work properly?
- Do the power doors and power windows work?
- Is the dashboard cracked?
- Is there a CD changer and is it working?
- Any skipping problems with the CD player?
- Are all speakers working properly?
- Does the water pump make any strange rattles or noises?
- When was the battery or alternator replaced last?
- Does the car drive straight or does it pull to the right or left?
- When was the last time the tires were aligned?
- Any problems with excessive wear and balding on the tires?
- How low in price is the seller willing to go?
- When can the car be picked up by the buyer?
- Can the car be brought to a mechanic for an inspection?
- Does the seller have the title to the car?
- Does the seller have proof that the car is theirs to sell?
- Does the seller have a valid driver’s license to prove ownership?
- Is any money still owed to a bank for a loan on the car?
- How many people have looked at the car? What are the offers?